Sunday, January 27, 2013

Why I Love What I Love - Back to the Future


Marty: Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me that you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean? 
Doc Brown: The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style? 


My longest lasting relationship has been with this movie. It's something I've watched at least 3 or 4 times a year every year since I was about 6 and it never fails to be the most incredible fun. No matter how I'm feeling when I watch this it never disappoints. I know every line, every scene, every joke. All of it. I can sing along to every word of Power Of Love and Johnny B Goode. But it's still as fun, exciting, tense and enjoyable as it was the first time I saw it.

It's been one of the few constants. Superman movies have gone up and down in quality. The Simpsons has faded. Star Wars gets constantly changed. The Doctor regenerates. But this has always been there. I can always put it on and howl with laughter at Doc screaming "1.21 GIGAWATTS?" and wonder why Biff is washing the McFly's car at the end of the movie even though he tried to rape Lorraine. The characters are so simple but so easy to relate to. Marty's just a kid wanting to be better. Lorraine's a girl head over heels for the exciting new guy. George is the "nice guy" who wants Lorraine but doesn't know how to get her. Biff's a bad dude, he doesn't need any motivation, he's just a bad dude. And the Doc is the Doc. No explanation needed.

I'll always love this movie because it's something that will never let you down. Whenever I get asked what my favourite movie is there's never any hesitation. Is it the best movie I've seen? No. But it'll always be my favourite. Something that if you had to watch once a day for the rest of you life, you'd be pretty okay with that. Its message is simple: The future isn't written. It's whatever you make it. Marty sees that and does whatever he can to make his better. He helps George change his future too. It's a story we can all relate to, and one I'll love watching for as long as I live.

Mr. Strickland: I noticed your band is on the roster for the dance auditions after school today. Why even bother, McFly? You don't have a chance. You're too much like your old man. No McFly ever amounted to anything in the history of Hill Valley! 

Marty: Yeah, well, history is gonna change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment