Saturday, January 22, 2011

My new laptop

Because I'm sure you're all dying to know...

For the last couple of months at work they've been running this competition where you accumulate "money" for various things. And on Friday they had an auction where you could use this money to get prizes. I scored myself a $100 JB Hi-Fi voucher. Went down to JB that night and given my PC was A) 10 years old and B) slower than Aquaman outside of water, I decided to go for a laptop. Only cheapskate that I am I didn't wanna spend thousands of dollars on it, so I picked up a HP G62 for $570, $470 after using my voucher.
Came complete with Windows 7 Home Premium so I'm no longer the sole remaining user of XP. So far I'm enjoying 7, it feels like Vista only more refined. I'm a fan of "Sticky Notes", I can use it for what I use Notepad for, only it loads up straight away when you next turn your PC on. Very useful.

Comes with three USB ports, one on one side two on the other, a network cable slot, HDMI out outlet, and an SD Card slot, which given the amount of photos I take is going to come quite in handy. Also has a CD burner drive, there were laptops with Bluray drives but I didn't see the point, if you get a Bluray you want to watch it in HD, not on a small 15 inch screen. Defeats the purpose.

So all in all, a fairly standard notebook but since I've been using a PC older than the Australian cricket team, it's a sizeable step up. Also I find it far easier to Flickr and Blog on a notebook than on my old PC, which would routinely freeze for 10 seconds or so, and had an unbearably slow internet speed despite us having ADSL2+. So hopefully this means my work should be more regular this time around, and if not then you can just yell at me until it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment